The myths of Greece and Rome have provided us with timeless tales of the ancient past, when the world was young and the gods and goddesses shared it with men and women. Classical Mythology
provides a complete panoply of these colorful myths, including those that have become familiar references in countless works of world literature:
- Prometheus's theft of fire
- The twelve labors of Hercules
- Icarus's flight too close to the sun
- Jason's recovery of the Golden Fleece
- Perseus's slaying of the Medusa
These myths have inspired some of the greatest paintings and sculptures in western art. This volume is illustrated with more than sixty reproductions of classical art that span five centuries and bring these tales of heroes and heroines and their adventures with the gods and goddesses of antiquity vividly to life.